Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday Song: "Silent All These Years" by Tori Amos

There's songs you just get certain feelings with. "Silent All These Years" by Tori Amos is one of those songs for me.

I won Tori's Little Earthquakes album during a contest at a 6th grade dance. I looked at it and thought, "Who the heck is Tori Amos?"

My girlfriends Leah and Nikki said "Oh, she's really good. I think you'll really like her."

I did.

This track is one of my favorite songs ever. The lyrics are different, strange -- but in a good way. Many say the song was written to give a voice to her inner rage from being raped by an obsessive fan. To me, the song discusses how she was silent for many years about what happened to her, but does not want to remain silent anymore. It could take on several other meanings, but that's really up to the listener to decide.

Startlingly original, the song's combo of piano, strings and Tori's hauntingly beautiful voice make it an instant 90's classic. Take a listen for yourself here.

No comments: