Monday, January 21, 2008

Martin Luther King teaches all AGAPE

It's more than just a Monday. It's a special day for everyone, for it's the day dedicated to a man that altered the course of our history -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Many times, King is exclusively known for his "I Have a Dream" speech, however, there's more to him than just those words. He created change through his life's dedication to the Civil Rights Movement, his talent for speaking on the power of love and his idea for nonviolent resistance that ultimately became the effective weapon against the social ills of the early 1960's.

To honor him in my own way, I looked back on a speech I first read in 10th grade from Dr. King called "Loving Your Enemies." King's thought-provoking words encourage me to examine my own life and inspire me to strive for AGAPE -- the ultimate form of love. I highly suggest you read it -- you cannot read it and be left unmoved. I get chills reading it, and I can't even begin to imagine what it was like to hear him preach it in person at a Baptist Church in Montgomery, Alabama in 1957.

April of this year will mark the 40th anniversary of the death of MLK. Hopefully on that day we can look back and see the progress our society has made since his time -- and although we still have a ways to go, we're getting there. So for today, let's honor a man who worked tirelessly to advance our country and consider his thoughts as if he were alive today.

"Love is the only way." -- MLK

No comments: