Saturday, April 5, 2008

Things I've Learned: Life Lessons at 23

I got inspired last week after reading a list of "Lessons of a Lifetime" in Strut magazine, so I decided to create my own list of life lessons. I wrote one for each year of my life [thus far]. I figured I may as well share it...

1. I've learned that boys and girls break hearts. But, no matter what, there is always something better waiting in the wings.

2. I've learned that your parents really do know "what's up," even if you think you're getting away with something.

3. I've learned that no matter how many new friends I make, I keep coming back to the ones who knew me while I was growing up.

4. I've learned that the idea "fake it till you make it" can work. If you're not happy with something, try to alter the way you're thinking about it.

5. I've learned that being older doesn't necessarily make you wiser and age really isn't anything but a number.

6. I've learned that if I feel like saying something, I'm going to say it. If you think I'm crazy or obnoxious, we weren't meant to be.

7. I've learned that when it comes to finding a mate, pick someone who makes you laugh.

8. I've learned that good grades only get you so far in life.

9. I've learned that it has taken me a long time to become the person I want to be and I still have a lot of work to do.

10. I've learned that perfect strangers can give great advice.

11. I've learned that just because you can be "connected" to work 24/7 doesn't mean you should be. If it's that important, they'll call.

12. I've learned that having a commute into work isn't always an awful thing -- sometimes during my day, that's the only time I am alone with my thoughts.

13. I've learned that the best way to mend a broken heart is through time and girlfriends (and maybe Ben & Jerry's, too).

14. I've learned that it's important to reflect on all the beauty that surrounds you on a daily basis. Like me, chances are you're pretty lucky.

15. I've learned that mixing any combination of wine, beer and liquor in the same night is never a good idea.

16. I've learned that I need to be thankful for the clothes I own. Even though I complain a lot that I'm not as fashionable as others, some people only have rags to wear.

17. I've learned that having a strong spiritual life is crucial when it comes to answering life's uncertainties.

18. I've learned that judging someone is cruel and unfair. You can't begin to really know someone with assumptions about their character.

19. I've learned that kids can teach us lessons everyday -- how to share, how to play and how to create something without rhyme or reason.

20. I've learned that saving for your future needs to begin with your very first paycheck.

21. I've learned that I'm not waiting until I'm old to "wear purple." There's no time like the present!

22. I've learned that saying "I love you" to family and friends is important. You never know what may happen tomorrow.

23. I've learned that I'm never going to stop learning life lessons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
I absolutely love this post. It's very inspiring. I think right now my favorite is number five, but I loved all of them.