Saturday, January 16, 2010

Looking for Rad Places? Try Yelp.com

One of my favorite discoveries this year has been Yelp.

Dubbed as "Real People. Real Reviews.", Yelp gives registered users the opportunity to dish about everything from restaurants and bars to salons and dry cleaners.

Since I didn't grow up in the D, this site has been crucial in finding new places to nosh and play.

Before Yelp, I stuck to dining in my neighborhood or relied on friend's suggestions. Yelp has pushed me to look elsewhere....and has proved that sometimes the way places look on the outside do not reflect the vibe within. (i.e. after reading a few good reviews, I'm excited to try my neighborhood Chinese restaurant, even though it kinda looks creepy on the outside.)

The site has also been extremely helpful in planning trips. If I know I am going to be traveling to a certain town, I always check Yelp first. I'd much prefer to hear from someone else about a great place then search local news sites.

Thanks Yelp for helping me, or shall I say yelping me out.

Read real reviews on Detroit-area places here. And if you check out a place, be sure to write a review yourself -- you never know, your suggestion/complaint may be addressed by the business owner. Check out my reviews or friend me here.

No comments: