Friday, September 28, 2007

THiNK PiNK During October's Breast Cancer Awareness Month


What is more fun than the color pink? I can't think of much. Yet in October, pink symbolizes Breast Cancer Awareness Month - a time when people band together and reflect on a cause affecting thousands of our nation's women (and men).

When I was in college, I had a breast cancer scare. My doctor found a lump during my annual exam and wanted me to watch it for the next two weeks and then come back for a follow-up appointment. Me, being a naïve 20-year-old, didn’t think to ask too many questions and proceeded on as normal. Upon telling my mother and worrying her sick, I started to think about it a little more… what if I did have cancer? Those next two weeks of wondering were unsettling… It’s not the best thought to have when you are in college and trying to find a balance between hitting the books and appearing at parties.

Thankfully, I was one of the lucky ones that didn’t have to be faced with a sullen look on a doctor’s face upon my return visit to the office. The lump had disappeared and I had nothing more to worry about.

That event inspired me to always make sure I educate people (especially my girlfriends) about the importance of annual breast exams. I would hope all of you – especially during October – are reminded of this wherever you go out in public and are faced with the sea of pink out there.

To honor the month, I did a little digging to find some of my favorite pink-inspired products with proceeds benefiting a legit and wonderful cause - the Susan G. Komen For The Cure.

Here were some highlights:

* HOT for a Cause travel mug ($17.99, available at Komen's Promise Shop) By using this mug, you can show everyone that you are HOT for a cure – and a world without breast cancer.

* Every woman's fantasy: the color pink + chocolate.
M&M's has created a special pink pack of M&M'S called the "Promise Blend" with 10% of sales going to Komen. These are so cute!


* Panera Bread is producing their Pink Ribbon Bagel (very delish and only 89 cents) during the month of October with 25 cents of all bagels sold benefiting Komen. This is my office's favorite... try it and prepare to be amazed!

* If you're blind like me and use Bausch & Lomb's Renu Contact Solution, why not buy something for a cause? Plus, it comes with a sassy pink case and 75 cents of all boxes sold benefit Komen.

* Oreck Corp. is selling a special pink Oreck vacuum cleaner, making cleaning much more fun in pink. For each one purchased through the end of this year, Oreck will donate $50 to Komen, with a minimum donation of $500,000 and no maximum limit.

See more here: http://prevention.com/pinkproducts/

So Komen does great things, but what's the story behind the organization?
I was curious to know too. Come to find out, the founder of Komen - Nancy G. Brinker, lost her sister "Suzy" to breast cancer. It was Suzy's desire to help others and work to defeat the terrible disease that gave Nancy the inspiration to create such an amazing organization. Read the story here.

This month, remember breast cancer doesn't just exist as another disease in the world. For many of us, it has touched our lives in some form or another – whether it’s in ourselves, in our mothers, grandmothers, sisters or friends.

THiNK PiNK this October.

No comments: