Monday, September 10, 2007

A Smile's Worth A Prayer of Thanks

"I just like to smile. Smiling's my favorite."
- Buddy the Elf from Elf

Have you ever thought about physically not being able to smile? Such a natural expression to most of us... except those that suffer from Moebious Syndrome.
I learned about Moebious Syndrome on Discovery Health's "Medical Incredible" show. It prompted me to do a little research. I learned that it is a muscular weakness on both sides of the face, due to facial nerve paralysis. The girl who was featured just wanted to smile and be "normal." My heart broke as I watched the show.
It made me start to imagine a life without smiles... when a friend says "say cheese," you can't give anything but a blank stare. You hear the funniest joke ever and you can't show your appreciation to the comedian. You see the most gorgeous person and you want to show your interest in them with a smile, but you simply can't. My smile is a gift I never realized I had until today.
Just another life lesson in not taking anything for granted.

No comments: