Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Five Smiles

My co-worker asked me today why I've been so happy lately. At first I said "no reason" and then I got to thinking...what is it really???

I am sure the holidays have something to do with it...I am one of the rare ones that will admit to actually liking this time of year. But really, I'm just thinking that besides the normal routine stresses, I have been feeling pretty lucky lately. I have been blessed to have a lot of opportunities to smile during these past few weeks...

Smile #1: Recently my job has allowed me to make two unemployed people happy. Person #1: I gave circus tickets to my neighbors a few weeks back. I didn't think anything of it but came home one night to three adorable kid drawing thank yous and a heartfelt card saying they hadn't had the money to do anything as a family in 8 months due to unemployment, so they appreciated the tickets. I had no idea the dad was unemployed.
Person #2: One of my clients is hosting a holiday giveaway. During the contest, we draw winners and contact them about their prize. Well, one of the entrants won $50. I emailed her to tell her the good news and she responded to me by saying she was unemployed and could really use the funds this season to get presents for her family. I'm so glad she was picked as a winner.

Smile #2: I rang bells for The Salvation Army this past weekend with one of my life's leading ladies, Nikki. We always have a good time making people laugh as we sing and bop to Christmas music while ringing. We didn't get any $5s or $10s this year, but it didn't seem like many people passed up our kettle either. It was a happy realization to see that people are still giving back to nonprofits in need, despite the economy.

Smile #3: I saw the 10-voice male a cappella group/You Tube sensation Straight No Chaser with my girlfriends and mom at the Royal Oak Music Theater. They are ammmmmazing and I was so happy that we got to see them live. They sang a lot of great Christmas music, but my fave was a rendition of the Red Hot Chili Peppers "Under the Bridge." Check it out here (sorry for the quality of the vid). They are supposed to come back to Michigan in the spring, so hopefully I can go...Until then, I am buying all of the music of theirs I can find!

Smile #4: My husband has been a MAJOR helper these past couple of hectic weeks, even despite his own crazy work hours. On top of putting up Christmas lights without a single complaint (I know he hates it), he even did laundry. And folded it. Without me asking. Sounds silly, but it's those little things that remind me that my life would fall apart without him...(or I'd at least be out of underwear!)

Smile#5:
I sang at an apartment complex for seniors with my choir last night. The acoustics at the place were horrible and I'm sure we didn't sound our best, but the seniors didn't care. In fact, they LOVED it. We sang carols at the end and I was amazed at how many of them knew all the words to the songs. After we were through performing, an older gentleman came up to me and said how much he loved our singing. After hearing his German accent, I asked what brought him here and he said he wanted to come to America since he was 6. After serving in WWII, he was finally able to come over and he explained how he has loved our country since.

These 5 thing together have made me smile lately. And, like the saying goes, it's not the years in your life, but the life in your years....and sometimes I just need a reminder of a few of the things that make life peachy: helping others, being loved and loving in return and being proud of your roots.

3 comments:

Nikki Little said...

Love this post. :) I'm glad I played a part in some of the things that have made you smile lately.

A Super Girl said...

Great reasons to smile! And how did I not know about the a capella group coming to town. I have an automatic crush on any man that can sing a capella :-)

metrogal84 said...

Thnx for your comments, ladies!

I just got an email w/the secret scoop -- the group is coming back on April 9 to the Royal Oak Music Theater.

The show will not be actively publicized until January, but you can get tix at this link:
http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?agency=ROYAL_OAK&pid=6663474

You should def go -- they are awesome!