Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sunday Song: "Keep Me in Your Heart for Awhile" by Warren Zevon

Last night I saw the new-ish Adam Sandler/Seth Rogen movie, "Funny People." Although it definitely had the classic Adam/Seth voices and one-liners that have me LOLing every five minutes, it wasn't the BEST movie of the summer by any means. Regardless, as a typical Judd Apatow movie, it was pretty entertaining and besides, there was one thing that trumped the plot line anyways: the use of music. The soundtrack was stellar, incorporating music from some of my old-time faves: Paul McCartney, Robert Plant and James Taylor.

One song that I kept in my head throughout the whole movie (so I could go home and download it) was "Keep Me in Your Heart for Awhile" by Warren Zevon. I liked it the instant I heard it playing in the movie.

Upon Googling a portion of the lyrics so I could figure out who sang the song, I came across the reason the song was written in the first place. Warren Zevon had been diagnosed with cancer before writing this song and knew he only had a short time to live, so this was written as a gift to his family. The lyrics are somewhat sad, but lead the listener to believe that regardless of his looming death, he's still in his family's heart as well as with the listener. When you watch the movie, you'll understand why this is so fitting.

For anyone who has dealt with the death of a close loved one, this song seems just as comforting as it is beautiful.

Sometimes when you're doing simple things around the house
Maybe you'll think of me and smile
You know I'm tied to you like the buttons on your blouse
Keep me in your heart for awhile

No comments: