Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Preparing for the Next 'Round of Heroes @ the Paralympics

I don't know about you all, but I'm not a big sports fan. I try to know who's who in Detroit sports and who are the big guns when it comes to the big teams, but for the most part, I really just don't care. I appreciate the talent needed to suceed, but sports in general are just not that interesting to me...

Except anything surrounding the Olympics. I don't know if it was my Greek roots coming out, or if I just watched the games much more than I have in years past, but the 2008 games were the best I've seen ever. (Very big kudos to NBC for great coverage!)

Yes, there was scandal. But, there was also record-breaking triumph. There were tears, sweat and blood. It's true -- the Olympics are truly composed of the drama folks like me need to enjoy sports. And I truly enjoyed every minute!

Just when I thought the Olympics were done (tear), I read a great story and learned we've only just begun with the gold medal inspiration. September 7-17th, 4,200 disabled athletes from around the world will compete in the Paralympics in Beijing.

Paralympians are categorized into five different groups: spinal cord injury, amputee, visual impairment, cerebral palsy and ‘les autres’ (basically, French for those who don’t fit in the other categories). There are 20 different events including wheelchair basketball, archery, swimming and wheelchair fencing, among others. (How sweet would those be to watch?!)

One fellow American I will be rooting for is Melissa Stockwell, a solider who lost her leg in Iraq. She rocks! Read her ESPN story Little Leg,' big heart and positive thinking here and prepare to be inspired. Gold medal or not, she's a true American hero...in more ways then one.

Go Paralympians -- I know I'll be rooting for you all!

No comments: